Thursday, April 24, 2014

"My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths." -Eleanor Roosevelt

This morning we were able to visit 4 more schools, leaving only 5 more to go! One school is almost an hour away... a very rural school but still within the Udaipur school district. I hear they were in desperate need of this filter so I am glad they were included in this project. However, that will take a very long time to reach. It was my hope that we would finish school visits on Friday but we will see if that happens. So far we have installed in:


Government Primary School Dakan Kotra: A primary school that feeds into the Secondary school (who also received a RO filter). They got into little lines and were so patient as we took this picture, I was impressed. Their school is very far out from the city and I know for sure that this will have a huge impact on their lives, especially being so young.


Government Secondary School Dakan Kotra is also quite far out from the city and is about a 10 minute drive from its Primary school. I was given a tour of the school and when I entered each classroom, the students stood up and greeted me with an english song asking "How are you? I hope you're well!" It was a lovely visit and the students are getting this filter at a perfect time since exams are only days away! Getting sick would be a terrible thing for them right now because tests are never fun... even more so if you have a tummy ache!


The students from the Government Secondary School Nella lined the roads to show us the way to their small rural school. The principal came out to greet us and said over and over how important this filter is for his students. While waiting on the children to finish their lunch break, the principal brought us all water from the filter. Then, he asked one of the girls to go get a glass of water from the source they had previously used. As she brought the glass back, I saw dirt and black residue floating all around the bottom of the cup. The weather is so hot now, the children had no other choice than to drink lots of this dirty water before the filter was installed. This example and the way the principal was talking assured me that this school definitely appreciates this gift.


The looks on these student's faces from the Gurukul Madyamik School in Sector Fourteen cracks me up! They sat there and listened as the principal told them about their new filter and how it would benefit their health and education. These kids were small, especially the last row on the right (who were also getting hot in the sun) so listening for a long period of time must have been difficult. Hence these grumpy faces. It made me laugh because it reminded me that kids are kids no matter where they grow up. And just like kids back home, the students at Gurukul Madyamik School now won't have to work about the water the drink, they can just be kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment