Friday, April 25, 2014

“All's well that ends better.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

Today we finished up the last five schools, even the one that was about an hour away. We made it! A part of me can't believe that it is all pretty much complete. This project has been in the works for almost 2 years now and to finally sit back and say it's done is very strange and very satisfying at the same time. Like I have said before, exams are right around the corner for these students. As a result, today, all but one school had a "study" day where the children did not have to attend. Although I was not able to see the students, I was able to spend more time with the faculty and they told me a more in-depth story about their schools. Without further a due, here are the last 5:


I was surprised that the Government Girls Secondary School Kothariya is still in the Udaipur school district. After one hour in the car, winding around severe mountain roads (which are terrifying by the way) we reached the school. Even though school had let out an hour previously, the staff stuck around to give us this warm welcome. They placed so many flowers around my neck I joked that I looked like I had a shirt made of yellow flowers. This school, despite begin so far out, was still extremely impressive. I came to learn the students have continuously scored high on all board exams and have also district level awards in both Judo and Table Tennis. The school does not have enough staff to teach all of the subjects, however that had not stopped them. The teachers take turns going around and filling in for the subjects that are missed. I was amazed at their passion for the students!


Government School Neemuch Khera caters to all the children within a one kilometer radius. Most are tribal children with parents in the working or farming class. The teachers tried to describe to me how dedicated they were to their children and because of this they promised to get this filter up and running in two days. Because of the children's backgrounds, they sometimes have problems in attendance. However, the teachers have a good relationship with the community and even make house visits when children have not attended in some time.


The Government Senior Secondary Girl’s School Sunderwas was the third stop on our tour this morning and unfortunately we did not get to spend a lot of time speaking with the faculty. They held a small ceremony for us and placed flowers around our necks to honor us. Their girls were currently on holiday to study for exams so I was unable to meet them. The teachers however, were all dressed up in pretty sari's and kept saying "thank you" over and over until we had to leave. 


I was able to spend quite a bit of time talking to the principal of the Government School Gorrela. He said that the children come from very rough backgrounds and most need a lot of motivation to care about their education. The teachers are their main motivators since many families in the area have some sort of alcohol dependency and the idea of education over work isn't common. During the harvesting season, the school has trouble keeping stable attendance because many of the families require their children to help with the work. The faculty does everything possible to emphasize how important education is and encourages families to motivate their children to go to school.


Government School Dhikali is in a very remote area. Over 70% of all students are from a stricly farming families and 60% of students are also girls. At first I was very proud of this fact, that girl children might be more concerned with their education. However, the principal said that most families send the girls to school because they are safer there than at home while their families are at work. This was quite shocking to me and I can't imagine what kind of environment these children must grow up in. On a happy note, this school does receive quite a bit of government help with things like new bathrooms, supplies, and equipment since they have next to nothing.

So, that completes the list of schools that were involved in this project. Tomorrow I'm sure I will write a post all about my feelings and such, but for now I am just content to see all this hard work be for something. Thank you again everyone who gave money, prayed, and supported me. You are loved and I can rest easy now knowing that your money (and finally ALL of your money) has been put to a wonderful, beautiful use. Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment