Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"More than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow."

I have never been someone who says "God said this..." Or "Jesus told me this..." I have faith in God's plan yes, but unlike Samuel I have never heard a voice magically call my name from the sky and tell me the plan for my life or what socks I should wear that day. I'd imagine it would sound somewhat like Morgan Freeman in an amphitheater though. However, for me, God speaks in moments, in doors opening, and through other people's actions and words. Things that reassure and timing that couldn't be anything but a work of the divine, have been my guides thus far. Today I have been humbled, amazed, overwhelmed, and heartbreakingly grateful. Today I have been assured that this is where I was supposed to be. Today... I have been donated enough money to install 13 more filters. Yes. That I said 13!!! I don't have a final total, but ball park we are talking $8,000!

I reread the email from First Baptist Somerset twice before I could tell my partner, who was sitting across the dinner table, why I had frozen mid-sentence. We had hoped for maybe 4 more filters... Optimistically. But 13.... Whoa! We needed to start calling people... As soon as we picked ourselves up off the floor.

First of all... This means I will have to return to Udaipur for a third time. I promised to do this and that means I will see it to completion. I would stay an extra week now except something special is happening next week which has been planned for a long time... My mother and my friend Jenny are coming to India!! Therefore, after they leave I will head back over and see this work is done and all donations are used up completely.

But to backtrack... This week:

Today, 5 filters have been installed. I will visit these schools tomorrow and the next day. In addition the company can install 5 more systems by Thursday which I can oversee. All in all, 11 systems (10 Indian RO filters, and 1 Waterstep chlorine generator) will be installed while I have been here. I will visit all of these schools to get their stories and meet the children who will be using these filters before I go. This morning I was able to go to the Dewali school and met the girls there. I will write their full story tomorrow, but it's a good one. Tomorrow I visit them again in the morning because we're gonna color some thank you cards for the students at Glenn Marshall Elementary who raised the money for their filter. It's gonna be so fun!! Coloring is best!!

Everyone, thank you so much. Words can't describe the good that has been done here. Things have fallen into place and I have been connected to people who have made this project bigger than I ever thought possible. One of my biggest saving graces has been Madhu Sareen, my partner in this who has negotiated and coordinated literally everything for me. I know, without a doubt, I could not have done ANY of this if I didn't have her at my side. She has taken care of me when I was really sick (last November), motivated me when I was getting fed up with how hard this work has been, and has shown herself to be one of the most honest and trustworthy individuals I know.

Everyone at home, thank you for believing in me. I'm young. I make mistakes. Sometimes I don't really know what I'm doing. And most recently I have underestimated just how much God can do. When we pray for help, what happens when God answers more than we thought possible? What happens when we want our cup to "overfloweth" but then we get so much it covers the floor and the living room and the basement too? As my dear friend Maria said when she received too many donations from Norway for her Christmas project, "Ya know....This isn't a bad problem to have." She was right, this is the best problem to have.

This is a story about people willing to give their resources to children they haven't even met, living in a place on the other side of the world. It's the best kind of love story. I am truly and completely blessed to be here. More to come tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Morgan, you are truly an amazing young lady! I truly enjoy reading your blog! I love that your parents share it! They are so proud of you!! (and Jon too!) God is working through you there! That is wonderful that you'll be installing 13 filters! I'm so excited for you! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us!

    God will bless you for all your hard work there! You are in my prayers!! God Bless YOU!

    Tami Gibson (friend of your parents)

    ReplyDelete